Most people will recognise the red rose as a symbol of love and passion. A red poppy as a symbol of remembrance of the fallen in war. Baby’s breath as innocence and purity.
Human beings throughout the ages have ascribed meanings to botanicals, and some place more importance on the symbolism than others. If you want some blooms on your wedding day that are symbolic of a certain feeling or theme, here are some examples of what you might like to consider and some you may want to steer clear of. At the end of the day though, pick what you like and what resonates with you.
The following is taken, with gratitude, from https://www.easyflowers.com.au/information/meanings
Traditional Colour Choice
These traditional colour choices mainly apply to roses but may also be applied to other flower types.
- Red roses mean romantic love.
- Purple roses signify that the giver has fallen in love with the recipient at first sight.
- Coral and orange roses signal desire.
- Yellow roses are joy and friendship.
- Pink roses express our gratitude and appreciation.
- Light pink roses show feelings of admiration and sympathy.
- Peach is more indefinite, as it can signify either sympathy or gratitude.
- White roses show meaning of reverence and humility.
Scientific Colour Choice
People respond to different colours in different ways, and these responses take place on a subconscious, emotional level. Specific colours have different effects on the human brain:
- Black: self-confidence, power, strength
- Blue: calming, lowers blood pressure
- Green: soothing, relaxing mentally as well as physically, helps those suffering from depression, anxiety, nervousness
- Violet: provides a peaceful environment
- Pink:relaxes, relieves tension, soothing
- Yellow: energizes, relieves depression,
- Orange: energizes, stimulates
- Red: stimulates brain wave activity, increases heart rate, respirations and blood pressure
Another list you can look at is the one on Wikipedia that is quite comprehensive:
Have fun planning your flowers and ask your florist for extra help and information- after all, they are the experts! Looking for a local wedding florist in Byron Bay? Check out Pikt! http://piktflowers.com.au/#home-section
Thank you to Pikt Flowers for the feature image!
Contact me for any questions/my availability on email@example.com or ph. 0404047313 and I will be happy to help!